It was built in the 11th and 13th centuries by landgrave Ludwig IV of Thuringia, who lived at Neuenburg Castle.
The two west towers, which greatly resemble the east towers of Naumberg Cathedral, can be seen from far away. The late Romanesque core remained in place after early and late Gothic renovations in the 15th century. While the western vestibule dates from an earlier period, the longhouse is a late Gothic hall, whose octagonal pillars without capitals stand on high pedestals. The room is bounded by the low Romanesque transept. Inside the church, the altar to St Mary (around 1510), the baptismal font (1592) and numerous gravestones are of interest.
Mon-Fri 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. & 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Sat/Sun/public holidays 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.